I don't like feeling sad! My disposition is to look for the happier things in life. The comments on my last post reminded me of gratitude journals - I've neglected mine for several months but I dug it out yesterday and it is now back in use.
Like many people I sometimes struggle in the winter and during this time of minimal social contact I really dreaded January and February. But I remembered my old Guide motto, "Be Prepared" and did what I always do and googled for advice and information and several sites suggested light therapy lamps or SAD lamps. I've not got a diagnosis of Seasonal Affective Disorder: I just know I get the January blues. I felt a little sceptical but I was prepared to give it a try so I ordered one. Last January was the best I've had in years!
Each morning I have the lamp on as I check emails, read blogs and drink coffee even before I get dressed. I had to devise a way of reminding myself to do it but apart from that it really takes no effort.
I've also made a list of treats (zoom with friends for coffee, try a new recipe, manicure my nails etc), one for each day of January. I've written them down so that if the blues hit I don't have to think too hard.
Does anyone have any other ideas for warding off the winter blues?
0 Comments