Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Should I Go?

While I lived on the mainland for 35 years, I received notices of high school reunions and was secretly relieved that I didn't have to deal with it.  I did go to one reunion... was it the 10th?  Maybe the 15th?  More likely the 20th because I remember I couldn't remember my classmates.  If you think my memory was bad then, imagine what it's like now.

Recently I got an e-mail from my high school buddy/college roommate/friend, Joanne with a 45th Reunion attachment asking, "Did you get this?  I've been asked to talk to you and Diane about this."

I e-mailed Diane saying Joanne might be going.

Art encouraged me to go, especially since he'd be attending his 50th high school reunion on the exact same day in Hilo.

Diane said she didn't think she'd be going to any of the events.

I considered going with Joanne.  Joanne has a steel trap memory.  If I stuck by her side she could tell me who everybody was.

Then came another e-mail from Joanne, "Have you thought about it?  Diane might go."

What? 

So I'm in, ... with a great deal of trepidation.  I'm thinking it'll be fun just to be with Diane (if she goes) and Joanne and a few other friends I happen to actually remember.  However, it seems as though high school was another life.  I packed those memories in a heavy box and tucked it away in the deepest recesses of my brain thinking I would never open it again.  It was such an immature, insecure, fun, awkward, happy, uncomfortable, exciting time for me.

Maybe I'm just worried about what I'll find when I open that box again.

Post a Comment

0 Comments