
I have been neglecting my duty as a blogger. I'm sure you're all SO relieved that I'm back at it!
For the first time in my life, I'm home, childless. I just dropped my 3 yr old off for his first day of preschool and now, twice a week, I will have 2 1/2 hours of total freedom! What will I do with myself!
I have vowed to use this time just for writing . . . for the most part. So here I am, chomping at the bit (yes, cliche) to share my experiences and wisdom with the waiting world!
Hmm . . .
Well, that was quick. Guess I'll sign off! Ha ha.
I heard a while back that young and teenage boys rarely pick up and read books by female authors. For this reason, my publisher wanted me to use my initials or "Mel" on my cover. I chose to use MJ Cunningham. Many female writers use initials. Take JK Rowling, for example.
Girls, on the other hand, will read anything. They aren't picky and could care less who the author is. Why is that? My guess is that girls are just more awesome!
Honestly, I'm not sure what the answer is, but maybe boys don't think girls can write a great "boy" story.
Many times while my teenage boy read my manuscript he would turn and say, "A boy would never say this." There were also times when my editor would write in the margins that something sounded too feminine.
So, here's what I think. It's a learned talent. Just as men have to learn to write from a girl's perspective, women have to learn how to write from a guy's. Personally, I think women have it easier! =)
What's your take?
0 Comments