Those who have read me before will know that (a) I adore Christmas, the run-up, the excitement, the soppy films and ooh.just.everything! And (b) I adore not wasting money, and finding the thriftiest ways to have fun and live a happy life...
So.
This is blogpost number 1 this year on Christmas: gifts.
At just under 100 days until the day, I have my list written of folk I want to give gifts to.
This gives me time to gather resources and make gifts where appropriate.
My hand-making list includes: two pairs of hand knitted socks, a Norwegian style jumper, a ballet style cardigan, a knitted dog, a crochet cardigan.
This year I'm giving home-made hampers. Each time I pop to the local shop through the year, I buy one of their £1 Christmas saving stamps as in December each filled savings card can be exchanged for an additional amount of money. So each quarter of the family is getting a hamper of bits and bobs designed with their taste in mind; paid for already when December arrives!
One portion of the family (in their early 20s) will have a hamper filled with crisps, snacks, pop and low alcohol beer, while another (who work long hours) will have a hamper of recipe mixes and mini bottles of wine.
I can make a teeny hamper using a shoebox and just a couple of things and a large hamper using a whole range of items - in this way I stick to my budget completely.
The only folk I don't apply this principle to is the grandchildren.
They get games, toys and clothes - including pyjamas and a dressing gown - but I don't gift food to small people.
And now I'm back to knitting a sock.
So.
This is blogpost number 1 this year on Christmas: gifts.
At just under 100 days until the day, I have my list written of folk I want to give gifts to.
This gives me time to gather resources and make gifts where appropriate.
My hand-making list includes: two pairs of hand knitted socks, a Norwegian style jumper, a ballet style cardigan, a knitted dog, a crochet cardigan.
This year I'm giving home-made hampers. Each time I pop to the local shop through the year, I buy one of their £1 Christmas saving stamps as in December each filled savings card can be exchanged for an additional amount of money. So each quarter of the family is getting a hamper of bits and bobs designed with their taste in mind; paid for already when December arrives!
One portion of the family (in their early 20s) will have a hamper filled with crisps, snacks, pop and low alcohol beer, while another (who work long hours) will have a hamper of recipe mixes and mini bottles of wine.
I can make a teeny hamper using a shoebox and just a couple of things and a large hamper using a whole range of items - in this way I stick to my budget completely.
The only folk I don't apply this principle to is the grandchildren.
They get games, toys and clothes - including pyjamas and a dressing gown - but I don't gift food to small people.
And now I'm back to knitting a sock.
0 Comments