Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

beyonce movies

beyonce movies


How to watch Beyoncé's 'Black Is King' on Disney Plus - Business Insider - Business Insider

Posted: 06 Jul 2020 12:36 PM PDT

When you buy through our links, we may earn money from our affiliate partners. Learn more.

Beyonce
Beyoncé spent a year working on "Black Is King" after completing "The Lion King: The Gift" in 2019.
Photo by Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images for Disney
  • Beyoncé's new film "Black Is King" will stream exclusively on Disney Plus starting July 31.
  • "Black Is King" incorporates the themes of Disney's "The Lion King" into a new visual narrative that features images of the Black diaspora.
  • Beyoncé played the role of Nala in the 2019 remake of "The Lion King" and produced an album called "The Lion King: The Gift" to accompany the film's release.
  • Disney Plus subscription costs $6.99 a month or $69.99 a year.
  • For detailed Disney Plus impressions, you can read our full Disney Plus review here

Beyoncé Knowles-Carter is the writer, director, and executive producer of "Black Is King," a new visual album coming exclusively to Disney Plus on July 31.

"Black Is King" incorporates the lessons of Disney's "The Lion King" into a new visual narrative. 

Beyoncé announced "Black Is King" with a one minute trailer on her website that was also featured on the Walt Disney Studios YouTube channel. The trailer reveals that the film has been in production for a year.

While Beyoncé is best known as a Grammy Award-winning musical artist, her recent film projects have also garnered critical acclaim. Her directorial credits include "Lemonade," the 2016 visual album delving into Knowles-Carter's experiences as a black woman, and "Homecoming," a Netflix-exclusive documentary chronicling her performance at Coachella 2018.

Knowles-Carter played the role of Nala in the 2019 remake of "The Lion King" and produced an album called "The Lion King: The Gift" to accompany the film's release. In June 2020 Beyoncé received the BET Humanitarian Award for her philanthropic work, which includes scholarship funding for women in the arts, and a recent program supporting Black people in Houston impacted by the coronavirus.

How to watch 'Black Is King' on Disney Plus

To watch "Black Is King" you'll need to sign up for a Disney Plus subscription. The movie will be exclusive to the service and won't be available anywhere else. The film will debut on July 31, 2020. Disney Plus offers monthly and annual plans, priced at $6.99 and $69.99, respectively.

Disney Plus is also available in a discounted bundle with Hulu and ESPN+ for $12.99 per month, a deal that will save you about $5 per month compared to paying for all three services separately.

The Disney Plus platform includes support for Dolby Vision HDR video and Dolby Atmos audio through compatible devices, though it's not clear if "Black Is King" will use those features. Dolby Vision enables expanded colors and contrast, while Dolby Atmos creates an immersive soundstage with audio effects from all directions.

Disney Plus is available to stream on Apple, PC, iOS, and Android devices, Xbox One and PlayStation 4, and streaming devices from Amazon, Roku, and Chromecast. The Disney Plus app is also available on smart TVs, including models from LG, Samsung, Sony, and Vizio. You need an internet connection to stream Disney Plus, but the platform offers an option to download titles to a mobile device for future viewing when you're offline.

What other movies and shows can I watch on Disney Plus?

Disney Plus is home to an extensive library of movies and TV shows from DisneyPixarMarvelStar WarsNational Geographic, and 20th Century Fox. The catalog includes several original films and series developed exclusively for the streaming service. 

Though "Black Is King" is the first visual album to debut on Disney Plus, the platform features a growing assortment of musicals. A filmed version of the Broadway musical "Hamilton" premiered on July 3, and Disney Plus also includes a stage-to-screen adaptation of "Newsies."

Other movie-musicals on Disney Plus include the 1999 edition of "Annie," as well as Disney's many animated classics, like "The Lion King," "Aladdin," "The Little Mermaid," and "Beauty and the Beast." 

Beyoncé Visual Album ‘Black Is King’ Coming to Disney Plus - Variety

Posted: 28 Jun 2020 12:00 AM PDT

In a surprise, Disney Plus announced a new visual album from Beyoncé — "Black Is King," inspired by "The Lion King" — is coming to the streaming service next month.

"Black Is King," written, directed and executive produced by Beyoncé, will premiere globally on Disney Plus on July 31, 2020. That's just after the one-year anniversary of the theatrical release of Disney's "The Lion King" remake, for which Queen Bey voiced Nala (and which launched on Disney Plus in January).

A one-minute teaser trailer for "Black Is King" dropped Saturday night on beyonce.com. [Watch the trailer below or on YouTube at this link.]

The film is based on the music of "The Lion King: The Gift," released last year in conjunction with the Disney pic, and stars the album's featured artists and some special guest appearances. The Beyoncé-produced album features Childish Gambino, Kendrick Lamar, Pharrell, 070 Shake, Tierra Whack, Jay-Z, Blue Ivy Carter and Jessie Reyez, as well as African artists including Wizkid, Shatta Wale, Burna Boy, Mr Eazi, Tiwa Savage, Tekno, Yemi Alade, Busiswa and Salatiel.

"'Black Is King' is a celebratory memoir for the world on the Black experience," Disney and Beyoncé's Parkwood Entertainment said in announcing the visual album. "The film is a story for the ages that informs and rebuilds the present. A reunion of cultures and shared generational beliefs. A story of how the people left most broken have an extraordinary gift and a purposeful future."

According to the companies, Beyoncé's visual album reimagines lessons of "The Lion King" for "today's young kings and queens in search of their own crowns." The film was in production for one year with a cast and crew that represent "diversity and connectivity."

"Black Is King" pays tribute to voyages of Black families throughout time. The visual album tells the story of a young king's "transcendent journey through betrayal, love and self-identity." His ancestors help guide him toward his destiny, and with his father's teachings and guidance from his childhood love, he earns the virtues needed to reclaim his home and throne.

"These timeless lessons are revealed and reflected through Black voices of today, now sitting in their own power," according to the announcement. "'Black Is King' is an affirmation of a grand purpose, with lush visuals that celebrate Black resilience and culture. The film highlights the beauty of tradition and Black excellence."

On Juneteenth, Beyoncé surprise-dropped "Black Parade," co-written with her husband Jay-Z, focused on Black empowerment and centered on the nationwide Black Lives Matter protests following the killing of Minneapolis man George Floyd by police.

Disney Plus recently stopped offering its free seven-day trial offer, a move coming ahead of the service's July 3 premiere of the movie adaptation of Lin-Manuel Miranda's "Hamilton."

Watch the "Black Is King" teaser trailer:

Beyonce's mom defends singer against critics - MSN Money

Posted: 06 Jul 2020 01:30 PM PDT

The Beyhive's No. 1 fan has some stinging responses to fans criticizing Beyonce.

The singer's mom, Tina Knowles-Lawson, came out firing after several people on social media criticized Beyonce for her upcoming visual album "Black is King" album, claiming she's trying to capitalize on African culture.

Tina Knowles, Beyonce posing for the camera: Beyonce Tina Knowles © Alan Davidson / Alan Davidson/Shutterstock Beyonce Tina Knowles

In a post, Tina noted that several of Beyonce's collaborators are from Africa.

"There's way, way more involved in the making of Black Is King but my point in posting this is simply that those who are criticizing the film (before they even see it) saying it's unauthentic, upset that B doesn't actually go to Africa or say that Bey is simply using African cultures for gain are wrong because 1. She makes less with her Afrocentric content. 2. She's actually taken the time studied African costumes and such and didn't just throw this together," Tina wrote in a lengthy post. "She's worked with actual African dancers, film makers, directors etc on this project so for some African Americans and Africans to say it's a facade is truly discrediting the work of their own people."

Tina added, "While people whine about her not touring in Africa yet beg for more African representation in entertainment but are mad that they're getting it from one the world's greatest stars is strange to me. They'd rather have B come and they spend their money for a show once or twice every few years rather than have someone of African descent work with African creatives to create art that celebrates them that will last forever and it be done at no cost to them.)"

Tina Knowles wearing a hat © Jim Smeal/REX/Shutterstock Tina Knowles

In another post, Tina blasted critics who have essentially been telling Beyonce how to film the movie, calling on them to "stop being a social media terrorist to the wrong people."

"It is funny because it is so easy to criticize someone when they are doing something . You can always tell them how they could do it better especially if you're not paying for it," Tina said. "Some of you criticize under the thinly veiled guise of educating her. But you haven't seen anything but a 3 minute trailer and you judge so quickly. You can 't tell her what to do in her movie! There is a storyline How do you know east or west works in this movie? She is working hard on getting it shown in Africa. But you really should not waste your time seeing it. You should be busy making your own."

"Black is King" premiere July 31 on Disney+.

Makeup Artist Mally Roncal On Working With Beyoncé & Handling Rejection With Confidence - Bustle

Posted: 06 Jul 2020 10:37 PM PDT

In Bustle's Q&A series 28, successful women describe exactly what their lives looked like when they were 28 — what they wore, where they worked, what stressed them out most, and what, if anything, they would do differently.

Celebrity makeup artist Mally Roncal recently had a Harry Potter marathon with her husband and three daughters. After sitting through all eight movies, her butt was still numb days later. But don't let that fool you — Roncal is having a highly productive quarantine. She's been cooking classic Filipino dishes on Instagram and caring for two dogs, two bunnies, two fish, and three guinea pigs. Oh, and she's filming TV shows.

Roncal regularly appears on QVC via Skype, where she represents her Mally Beauty line. She also self-films episodes of Mally Makes It Better, a show on QVC's YouTube, where she shares makeup tutorials and answers questions from her fans, the "Mallynistas."

While Roncal is now working remotely, it's a stark contrast from her time doing makeup for famous clients, including Beyoncé, Jennifer Lopez, and Taylor Swift — and her exhilarating life before Mally Beauty.

Five years before founding her company in 2005, Roncal was a 28-year-old newlywed makeup artist who traveled as a spokesperson for beauty brands. "With reckless abandon, I said yes to everything," Roncal tells Bustle. "If my agent said, 'You're going to go do this celebrity's makeup on a ship in the middle of Africa,' I'd say, 'Sure, I'll do it.' I was pretty much pedal to the metal."

Below, Roncal, now 48, shares how she created her signature look, memories of working with Beyoncé before her solo album debut, and what she learned about handling rejection with confidence.

How were you feeling about your life and career when you were 28?

MR: I felt hopeful, I felt excited. I don't know if I felt successful yet. In retrospect, you ought to feel successful every day, but at 28, I was a real firecracker. I was focused and I wasn't going to let anybody stop me on my journey.

I never set out to become a celebrity makeup artist. I was doing lots of magazine editorials at the time, but my then-agent said, "I'm going to start pairing you with more celebrities, because you're like a cup of coffee in the morning. If there's anybody someone needs to see at 4:30 a.m. before doing The Today Show, it's you." I didn't care whose makeup I was doing, I just wanted to do makeup.

What was your biggest source of anxiety at the time?

MR: As a freelance makeup artist, I would always hear, "This celebrity might want you to do their makeup." Waiting and wondering if I was going to make the cut stressed me out. That process taught me so much about having confidence regardless if people accept you.

What was the biggest thing you splurged on when you were 28?

MR: An aqua blue Fendi bag. I wore it until it fell apart. I was like, "I'm wearing this, and you're going to know, dammit, how much I paid for it because I work so hard." I was raised by a Filipino woman who loved to shop, so it was very much like, if you work hard and achieve your goals, then enjoy yourself.

Describe your favorite beauty look from when you were 28.

MR: In the '90s, I had platinum blonde hair and I wore aqua blue eyeshadow. I was really tan and wore pink frosted lipstick. After my 28th birthday, I was trying to create a new, more subtle look for myself. I was doing a bronzy glow, lots of lashes, and a glossy nude lip, which became the signature look for my famous clients.

You have to decide your own "I made it" moments, especially in a world that sometimes makes you feel not as accomplished as you deserve to feel.

What were your goals at 28? And how have they changed since then?

MR: I had the dream of starting Mally Beauty, but I knew I still had work to do and a career to build. I will always be a makeup girl, but I also love the idea of creating a space where my husband Phil and I can teach people the art of positive energy. Phil always says that makeup has just been the vehicle to share love and joy. I get so many questions asking about my positivity. There's a technique to it, so I would love to teach that to whoever wants to learn.

Was there ever a moment for you when you felt like you made it?

MR: When I did the makeup for Beyoncé's Dangerously In Love album cover, I remember thinking, "I'm part of something very special right now." The day that I launched Mally Beauty on QVC, we had an hour-long show for my debut, and we sold out in 36 minutes. That was an accomplishment I had dreamed of.

At 28, it's hard to appreciate the great things you're accomplishing, but you have to for your own pride, for your own heart. You have to decide your own "I made it" moments, especially in a world that sometimes makes you feel not as accomplished as you deserve to feel.

What would your 28-year-old self think about what you're doing right now?

MR: She'd be proud to know that Phil and I have three daughters, and that we teach them to love people unconditionally, and that we allow them to be who they are regardless of what society says. She'd be excited to know that our family attends every single RuPaul's DragCon. She'd be happy to know that I'm still with the man that I was madly in love with then and that we still have a loving, emotional, sexual, exciting relationship, much to the chagrin of our daughters, who are always like, "Ew! Why?" She might be shocked to see me cooking and being more domestic, but she knows I'm still a drag queen at heart, so it's OK.

This interview has been edited and condensed.

Post a Comment

0 Comments